Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Love my job

Monday, as I performed my first perineoplasty, I had this conversation with my attending:

Attending (A): I would go here...then here...Make it work!

Me (K): Um...The Tim Gunn method of surgery?

A: Hahaha! Yes! It's Project Runway: Vulva Edition! Less is more!

We both were quite amused with ourselves. (Also, I made it work and improved this patient's quality of life, which is the important - but less amusing - part.)

We're currently in the process of interviewing next year's group of interns. This is amazing. It is amazing because it means that I will not be an intern forever! Yay! Also, it is amazing because I get to talk about this program to people who really, really want to hear about it (or at least have to pretend as much). In the process of talking, I realize over and over again how great this place really is. Obviously, it's a great hospital with Ivy League affiliations and wonderful volume, but it's really so much more than that. It's a chosen community of people dedicated to providing top notch, comprehensive health care for women. It's people who are self-driven to great heights and who will support everyone else in reaching their own goals, in good times and bad.

At every applicant lunch we play a slideshow of us working and playing together. I get a little teary every time.

1 comment:

twinsetellen said...

Way to go improving lives and still having fun. And teaching me new words, as I look up these procedures.