Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sunnier side

Thanks for the comments. They helped.

I'm feeling better. First, I felt worse. I actually ran into the guy in charge of my lab at the airport as he was returning and I was leaving. I'd emailed him some microscope pictures, and he confirmed that I had cause for concern. What a way to start a weekend.

Luckily, I had Marie to look forward to. Marie is my cousin. Our mothers are identical twins. Seeing as our fathers are very different physically, we don't look that much alike, but we're very, very much alike in habits and interests in kind of bizarre ways. After not seeing each other for years, we discovered a year and a half ago that we have almost identical default dance moves. We're attracted to similar traits in people, and offended by similar traits as well. We are both very much like our mothers and becoming more so each year. Anyway, it's always a blast to see her.

This time, it was an extra-blast for two reasons.
1) Marie is performing in a burlesque troupe, and I got to see her show. Pretty great stuff. Some of the numbers by the other women were...eh...but there was a lot of creativity and humor on that stage.
2) Marie is getting married in 4.5 months. I met her fiance, Heidi, this trip, and she is awesome. Very supportive of Marie. And....I get to be the maid of honor! Woo! (Pending approval of my request for the day of the wedding off from whatever rotation I'm on.) I'm excited. and not just because my dress will be turquoise.

Anyway, it was just what I needed to kick me out of the grumpiness I was in. And today, I talked to my lab people, and things are maybe looking a tiny bit less awful. We're ordering a new antibody overnight, and I'm going to try to crank out what I can in the next two weeks. This means I'll be crazy busy, but I have a small, tiny, eensy amount of hope for some sort of data. Fingers crossed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute, cute picture of you two! Heidi is also a great photographer.

Unknown said...

What you may know—but remember only in photos and stories—Marie’s mother was also in your mother’s wedding party. So as the circle turns.
Uncle Marty

M said...

Yay for fun visits and upcoming weddings...boo for research misbehaving :) Hope all is going well for you, my dear!

twinsetjan said...

Big smiles all around from Uncle Dale and I!