Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pout

I am very busy. Very, very busy feeling sorry for myself for ridiculous reasons. And this state of self-pity is kind of maybe keeping me from being productive. You see, I am in the middle of interview offer season (follows application season, precedes actually going on interviews). And I have been very, very lucky. Too lucky. So now I have the problem of trying to schedule all of these interviews at the same time. To say that spreadsheets are involved in this process is putting it lightly: I live and die by my google doc of interview dates. Right now, the month of December looks something like this: drive to City A, interview, drive home, fly to city B, interview, rent car, drive to city C, interview, drive to city D, interview, return car, fly home....andonandonadnon. I will basically live out of a suitcase for three weeks straight. And then go to my grandparents' house for Christmas and collapse on their couch, more drained even than last year when I arrived 12 hours after finishing a nasty bout of food poisoning.

And, because OB/GYN seems to be offering interviews earlier than ER is, I'm scheduling things without really knowing where B will get interviews. So far, we do have a lot of overlapping cities, but there are a few where I might end up canceling (no point on going if we're not both interviewing there). So I can't buy plane tickets yet. Which is driving me nuts. Also, my schedule has become so full that I had to schedule two interviews during my rotation at Pitt. I was trying soooo hard not to do that. The people there seem cool with it, but I still don't like it. I mean, at this point, I love Pitt. A lot. And to leave a rotation there to interview someplace that maybe I don't love as much (but maybe I do! won't know until the interview!) seems...odd. But I'll do it.

I was reading Yarn Harlot yesterday, and I now have a new strategy (or is it a tactic?) for coping with this scheduling stress: pretend it's a book tour. See? More fun already. Instead of interviewing, I'm marketing the story of a young woman who has to convince an endless series of people of what a great doctor she'll be! The story gets a little repetitive in the middle, but the ending is worth it (I hope). The real question is, do you think I could get any of my interviewers to hold the sock?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're allowed to visit the pity pool and dangle your feet. You're just not allowed to move onto a houseboat there. Sounds like you're tackling the "poutage" pretty well anyway.

Oh, did I mention that we live very close to Denver?

Anonymous said...

Remember the Harlot's triple alarm strategy - wake up call, cell phone alarm, and room alarm. With that schedule you're going to need it.

Do you already have a dedicated toiletry bag? You don't want to have to be packing and repacking your shampoo and lotions. I imagine you travel with lots of lotions.

Did Aunt Jan mention she lives near Denver?