Saturday, September 15, 2007

Frustrating morning, and I've only been up 3 hours

This crisp Saturday morning, I got up at 7:45 because I had a long protocol I wanted to do in lab today. It wasn't something I had to do over the weekend; it could have waited until Monday or Tuesday. However, since my projects have not been going so well, I wanted to make a weekend offering to the bench research gods. I rolled into lab around 9:15 due to more kitten play time than really necessary. By 9:20 I realized that the so-called Master Key to the labs only opened about half of the rooms I needed. And I couldn't really make do with what I had: my slides that I was going to stain were behind one of the locked doors.

At first I decided to take this opportunity to go to the gym. Then I realized that I ate so much goat cheese and roasted garlic last night that my GI system was still not entirely pleased with me. Okay, fine, so I'll go home, pick up toppings for pizza along the way, and come back to the gym later in the afternoon. I had parked in the parking garage near the lab, the one that is free for 30 minutes and $2 for 30-60 minutes. Having been there for 45 minutes (I ran to my other lab briefly to check on my cells - still alive!), I was going to owe $2, yes? I drove up to the attendant, ticket and 2 singles in hand. When I handed them to her, she glared at me and said, "You have to use the card reader." There is a machine for when there is no attendant. You pop in your ticket and pay a flat rate of $5 to exit the garage. I looked at her and said, "And pay $5?" She looked at me like I was a moron. "Yes." I glared back, "But you're here." Apparently the machine for calculating how much a person owes was broken. She could still hit the button to allow people to exit, but she could not calculate how much people owed. After some arguing, she decided to call her boss down to deal with me. He accepted my ticket and $2 and let me go. It isn't as though the time you enter isn't printed on your ticket or that the fee system is complicated. She just refused to deal with it. I kind of wanted to point out to her boss how difficult she was making my already frustrating morning, but I let it go.

Now I get some knitting time for my troubles. Also, I must contemplate these Harmony needles further. I don't love the colors, but I hear they are pretty fabulous otherwise.

No comments: